Freemasonry is a brotherhood of good men who strive to live with tolerance, kindness, and high ethical standards and who support charity in its broadest sense. There is a short list of essential criteria as follows:
Belief in God
It does not matter which is your God but you must hold a belief in a single Supreme Being. Masonry is universal and we welcome members from every Faith and Ethnic Background. University of Nottingham Lodge currently has members who are Christian, Protestant, Sikh and Hindu. We do not ask as to what form your belief takes but we do not accept atheists. Discussions concerning religion are strictly forbidden in the Lodge.
No Criminal Record
You must, quite simply, be of good standing in the community and have no criminal record. A minor infraction such as a speeding or parking fine should not count.
You must be male. The minimum age for membership is 18 years. There is a separate masonic organisation for women – see below.
Never Suspended or Expelled
If you have been a Freemason in another Lodge (UK or elsewhere) and have been suspended or expelled from that lodge, for example for non-payment of your annual subscription, then your application will be rejected.
You need two existing masons to propose and second your application. In practice this is not normally a problem. If you are interested and do not personally know a Freemason then we will need to meet up with you so that we can get to know you and you can get to know us.
At its inauguration, membership of The University of Nottingham Lodge was confined to those who were staff or students of this or any other university. It is now open to all.
Women and freemasonry
Freemasonry is not confined to men even though the United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE) does not itself admit women. Women who are interested in freemasonry should contact The Order of Women Freemasons (OWF) or The Honourable Fraternity of Ancient Freemasons (HFAF). There are links in the ‘Links’ Tab on this website.
Reasons to join The Craft
The reason to join The Craft will be individual to each and every Freemason.
Among the reasons which have been advanced are:
- Improving self-confidence
- Increasing social connections
- An enjoyable hobby
- Charity support.
Reasons to join The University of Nottingham Lodge
- We are a very friendly and cosmopolitan Lodge.
- We meet at a convenient location in the centre of Nottingham, across the road from Trent University and close to many transport links.
- Our membership is very diverse with respect to nationality and includes Brethren from various parts of Asia, India and Europe and well as the UK.
- We have close University Links – a number of members are present or past academics of this and other universities.
- Our members include two University Professors.
- We include members with a variety of different religions.
We look forward to hearing from you and welcome applicants from all walks of life as well as graduates, staff and students of the Nottingham Universities.
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org